With many catering companies to choose from that all specialize in different types of food for weddings, it is hard to know where to start your search for your ideal caterer for your wedding. The Perfect Wedding Guide received some fantastic words of wisdom and inside information from Blue Plate Special about what questions to ask potential caterers and about 2014 wedding catering trends.
2014 Wedding Catering Trends According to Blue Plate Special:
“Late night wedding reception snacks as the party continues is a new trend. Couples are providing and planning for additional snacks that might be very simple such as uniquely flavored popcorn in fun containers or bags or something light and healthy like melon wedges, parfaits or even a cookie bar.”
“Another trend we see focuses on lighter options rather than a full dinner, appetizers and action stations such as a sushi bar or tapas with bite sized items that keep the menu light yet filling by offering plenty of choices.”
Questions to Ask Your Caterer:
1. How long have you been in business? How much experience does your staff have?
2. How does the cost-per-person of a buffet compare to that of a sit-down dinner?
3. Does that cost-per-person just cover the food, or are charges such as staff, rentals and linens included?
4. Do you work from a health department approved facility? Can I tour it?
5. Do you have insurance?
6. What service costs are included and what costs are additional? Are set-up and clean-up included? How much is overtime if the reception runs long? Are gratuities included?
7. Will you be the person personally handling my wedding on my wedding day? If not, what is the name of the person who will, and when can I meet them?
8. Will you provide food for the photographer, videographer, musicians, and other “day-of” vendors? If so is there an extra charge?
9. Will you provide special meals for any children who attend, and is there a discounted charge for them?
10. Can we see a copy of your standard contract?
11. Can we see pictures of previous events, and speak to former clients for referrals?
About Blue Plate Special:
Blue Plate Special is an established catering company in Albuquerque, New Mexico that specializes in creating fully customized unique culinary experiences for their wedding clients.
“Everyone in this business will tell you their food is the best, but at Blue Plate, we believe the full package of food, outstanding service and attention to detail is what sets us apart from the crowd – for example, brides seeking a unique experience for their guests, trust the services of Blue Plate Special. We believe each couple’s wedding deserves to be a one-of-a-kind; an expression of their individuality, a reflection of their love, and a celebration for your family and friends.
Meeting with our event planners begins the process of establishing rapport, which is so important to feeling confident with your choice of caterer. We begin with a level of creativity, sensitivity and enthusiasm that is sustained right through your wedding day. Our planners will ask you a list of very specific questions; based on that discussion; we begin to develop a proposal for your reception that reflects your vision, priorities and budget. There are no cookie cutter weddings here at Blue Plate Special. Your own unique combination of factors, such as venue, menu, level of service desired, rental choices and the duration of the event, all come together to determine the style and budget for your wedding reception.” -Vicki Carson, Blue Plate Special
For more information on finding your ideal wedding caterer, and for everything else you need to plan your wedding please visit The Perfect Wedding Guide.